Personal Assistance Services

About Personal Assistance Services | Personal Assistance Services Forms

About Personal Assistance Services

Personal Assistance Services (PAS) may be provided through DARS to individuals with physical disabilities such as spinal cord injuries, cerebral palsy, or muscular dystrophy, who require assistance from another person to perform non-medical activities of daily living. These services might include transferring, bathing, eating, dressing, or other physical activities that the individual could perform if they did not have a physical disability.

DARS neither maintains a registry of individuals who provide personal assistance nor provides recommendations. However, the Virginia Board for People with Disabilities (VBPD) provided grant funding to the Virginia Association of Centers for Independent Living (VACIL) for the development of a Directory to serve those looking for personal assistants as well as personal assistants seeking employment. The Directory was developed and is hosted by Public Partnerships (PPL). Please note that the PPL website states: “ PPL has not conducted any credentialing, back ground checks, reference checks, verifications or any other investigations into the accuracy or completeness of the information, and similarly have no opinion or assessment on the fitness, capabilities, or quality of any specific provider.

DARS manages three PAS programs:

A PAS Application and assessment is needed to request PAS services. Comparable programs like the Medicaid Waiver for EDCD must be applied for and ruled out before PAS services can be considered

For more information regarding PAS, contact Carolyn Turner, Manager, Personal Assistance Services at:

Level A conformance icon, W3C-WAI Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 1.0  Valid HTML 4.01!  Valid CSS!
This File Was Last Modified: Monday June 23 2014