Job Seekers - Career Library
A job interview a meeting with someone at the company you want to work for. It is when you will tell them about YOU and how good a worker you will be. The "Interviewing" area is where you will learn how to get ready for your job interview. These are things you should know BEFORE you go on your interview.
What I Need To Know
You are all set to go for your job interview. Before you go, you will need to do some homework. Being prepared for your interview is the most important thing you can do to get the job. Here are some tips that will help you get ready:
- Know the company you are interviewing with. Know what they do and what they make. You can find out by asking people who work there, searching the internet and company literature.
- Make sure you can answer these questions.
- "What do your know about our company"?
- "Why do you want to work here?"
- Know what job you are interviewing for and what you will need to do. You can ask your VR Counselor to help you get a "job description" for the job.
- Practice interviewing with friends, family members, co-workers or your VR counselor.
- When you go for your interview
- Be on time!
How Should I Dress
Have you ever heard the term "Dress For Success?" Dressing correctly is very important when you go on your interview. Remember, the first impression you make on the employer is the most important one. You need to be neat and clean. Here are some "Do's and Don'ts" to help you look your best during your interview.
For a man:
- Suit and Tie
- Long sleeve shirt
- Neatly combed hair
- Polished shoes
- Limit the aftershave
- Neatly trimmed nails
For a woman:
- The suit skirt should be long enough so you can sit down comfortably.
- Coordinated blouse
- Neatly styled hair
- Light make-up and perfume
Just a few more things to remember:
- Don't chew gum.
- Turn off your cell phone.
- Leave your I-pod at home.
- Don't bring anything to eat or drink.
- If you have lots of piercing, leave some of your rings at home (earrings only, is a good rule)
- Cover your tattoos.
The Right Attitude
Your "Attitude" is the way you think, act and feel.
A "First Impression" only happens once. When you go for your interview you want the employer to want to hire you. Having a good attitude and good manners are important both at an interview and on the job.
Having a good attitude can make a big difference in how the employer feels about you.
Here are a few tips to help have a good attitude and good manners:
- Be excited and eager about the job.
- Greet the manager with a handshake and say "Hello Mr. or Ms. and then their name.
- Be polite when talking to them
- Sit up straight in your chair.
- Look at the manager's face when they are talking to you not at your shoes or around the room.
- SMILE! It's easy and it's important.
- Be on time! Never be late for your interview.